Eyelash Extensions Are They Right for You? FAQ
Eyelash extensions can be a beautiful, way to enhance your natural eyelashes without mascara or strip false lashes. These individually applied lashes can look surprisingly natural!
What are Lash Extensions?
Lash extensions are individually applied synthetic or natural hair fibers attached to the base of each eyelash with surgical glue. Each fake lash is applied one by one to your own eyelashes.
If you are very, very careful in how you take care of your eye area after having lash extensions applied, and have touchups every two to three weeks, your lash extensions can hold up pretty well. But straying from the guidelines can cause a mess, with the lashes coming off sooner than they would have otherwise.
Appointments after your initial application is mandatory for maintenance. How often you need a “fill” depends on your own natural eyelash growth cycle and on how well you take care of your lashes. Taking care of your lash extensions is a big deal!
Follow these guidelines to ensure your experience goes as smoothly as possible:
Understand the process.
Applying a full set of new lashes can take anywhere from 90 to 180 minutes. Depending on the look you want to achieve, anywhere from 60–120 individual lashes will be applied to each eye. To prepare the eye area for extensions, your lash technician should be taping your lower lashes down to your skin, and placing hydrating eye pads on top. This is done to prevent the glue from getting on the lower part of your eye as lashes are applied.
Your lashes will need extra attention to look good between fills because preserving these additions to your eyes should be the goal.
- Do not use oil-based cleansers and makeup removers as they cause the glue to breakdown.
- Avoid using mascara over them because removing it can snag the extensions, causing them to fall out prematurely.
- You must be careful when washing your eye area as any movement of your lashes will increase the lash falling out or getting twisted around.
- Do not let water from the shower fall directly on your face as the pressure will make the lash extension loosen and shed faster.
- Do not rub your face with a towel or press your face too hard into the pillow when you sleep.
- Use a dry mascara wand at least once a day in the morning or several times during the day, as needed, to comb through your lashes and gently straighten them out, especially if they get wet. Careful! If you tug to much they’ll loosen and fall out. The extensions easily get twisted around from sleeping positions and after washing your face and they can start looking really odd.
- Be careful how you apply makeup. Avoid oil-based skincare products around the eyes as well as greasy eye pencils and concealers as they will breakdown the eyelash glue. Also avoid applying heavy eyeliner as removing it tugs at the lashes, resulting in more fallout. Use a cotton swab dipped in makeup remover to take off makeup at your lash line.
- The more dramatic the lash, meaning thicker, the more likely it is to get twisted and fall out earlier than you want.